Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hand Me My Graduated Cylinder...

Hello to all of you who just hit the "Next Blog" button and were redirected here. Congratulations you have just upped my readership by one person. This brings my readership totals to...well, one (not counting, of course, my fiancee).

The title means nothing. With all the high schoolers graduating I just got nostalgic for all the old chemistry...

So, with the news that I am to be gainfully unemployed for at least another week I have been refinishing kitchen chairs, chopping up firewood, and looking for places to publish.

The kitchen chairs are for the house Megan and I will live in once we get married. I sanded one down and have replace half of the spindles. It sucks. I bought wood filler for the rest. I am so done with sanding.

My parents seem to cut down at least one tree out of their yard per year. That's were the splitting wood comes in. I have done two logs so far. About thirty more to go. Payment would be nice, but is unlikely to come. At any rate, I'm stealing all the wood.

In most of the online journals I've looked into all of the stories seem to be about sex and alcohol and being "deep". That's bull crap. There are hundreds of literary magazines online there have to be some that are just about telling a good story. Whatever happened to virtue? I know alcohol and sex and drugs and all of that stuff are a very real part of life. Those things happen. Those things are a part of who some people are. But why is the dark and the sad things of life that people are drawn to?

I feel that by focusing on these things people begin to believe there is no good in the world. What these people fail to realize is that there can never be good in the world unless people put it there. Humanity is not entitled to good things. Good things are a reward for efforts rendered.

And for those of you for whom wanton sexuality, drug use, and violence are good things congratulations you've already got your reward. No more effort needed. Good luck.

-KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment